This Templar Knight Helmet is a high-quality reproduction made in Toledo, Spain. This was the typical helmet used by the crusaders and by the Templars in particular for the whole duration of the Crusades. This type of helmet is also called Pot Helm as the shape very similar to a pot and due to the necessity to offer the best possible protection to the head. However, the view capabilities were greatly reduced letting possible only the frontal view. For this reason this helm was used also by cavalry for charges or tourneys.
- decorated with a Templar Golden Cross
- decorated with a series of traceries in the shape of crosses useful to improve the air access inside the helmet
- display stand made of steel
- natural size
The great helm or heaume, also called pot helm, bucket helm and barrel helm, is a helmet of the High Middle Ages which arose in the late twelfth century in the context of the Crusades and remained in use until the fourteenth century. They were used by knights and heavy infantry in most European armies between about 1220 to 1540 AD.
In its simplest form, the great helm was a flat-topped cylinder of steel that completely covered the head and had only very small openings for the eyes and mouth. A later variant with a more conical top is known as a 'sugarloaf helm'. In Spanish they are called yelmo de Zaragoza, referring to Zaragoza where they were introduced for the first time in the Iberian peninsula.
Although the great helm offered vastly superior protection than previous helmets, such as the nasal helm and spangenhelm, it limited the wearer's peripheral vision, and in addition to being heavy, the mass-produced form (flat-topped without ventilation holes) provided little ventilation and could quickly overheat in hot weather. Knights usually wore the great helm over a mail coif (hood) sometimes in conjunction with a close-fitting iron skull cap known as a cervelliere. The Great Helm was often blackened, lacquered or painted, and frequently decorated with crosses, symbols and feathers.
- Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express, Paypal and bank transfer are accepted. Credit card payments are processed through a Paypal Guest Checkout with no need to register on Paypal. Once redirected to Paypal's payment gateway choose the option "Pay with a Credit Card".
- Secure payment through Shopify platform. Our platform comply with the highest level of PCI (Payment Card Industry) standards.